Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hot as Hell


I was back on the road Saturday morning by 7:30 AM and the drive was pretty nice right up until 12:30 PM when it went from being comfortable to hot.  As I drove, the day just kept getting hotter and hotter.  I was stopping quite frequently to buy cold water to refill my camelback as I was drinking lots of water trying to stay hydrated.

I stopped in Oakley, KS to see this big bronze statue of Buffalo Bill Cody and read the information on him at the information cabin that was there.  While I was there, a hardcore looking biker with his woman rode up on a Harley.  I started up a conversation with them and at first they were a little cool towards me but after I started telling them about my trip, they soon warmed up to me and started telling me about their trip. They had just come from Yellowstone and we swapped stories about our visits to Yellowstone.  They then pulled out some ice cold beers from their saddlebag and offered me one. That Ice cold beer sure tasted good.

I then got back on the road since I still needed to get further along so I wouldn’t have so terribly far to drive on Sunday.  It was really hot by this time.  The wind was like a blast furnace and actually felt like it was burning my skin.  I was practically drinking water constantly but it didn’t seem to be helping much as I was developing a headache from the heat but I had to keep going.  After another 80 miles, or so, I was beginning to feel a bit sick and lethargic and my headache was even worse so I had to stop for the day. According to the weather channel, the temperature in the areas I had been driving through was in the 106F to 107F.  That means that with the heat rising up off the road, it was probably right around the 120F area for me on the bike.  That is just insane.  I checked into a cheap, dumpy motel and took a cold shower but it took about 1 1/2 hours of just lying on the bed with my eyes closed until I started feeling a little better.

I then walked across the street and had some crappy Mexican food at a fast food Mexican place called Taco Delight.  I am going to get up at 4 AM and try to make it back home before it gets unbearably hot again. 

Below are a few pictures from the days drive.  





No comments:

Post a Comment