Friday, June 3, 2011

First Day

Just before I left today, I was filling up the bike with gas when a police car pulled up next to me.  The officer rolled down his window and asked me where I was headed.  I explained what I was doing and where I was going. He then asks me what I did for work. I explained that I was a network engineer for Nokia and that I this trip was going to be a combination of vacation time and working remotely.  He just shook his head and smiled and told me I was a very lucky man.  He said he has dreamed of doing something like I was about to do but that there was no way he could ever get that sort of time off.  As he drove off, I realized that he was absolutely right.  I am lucky. I have a job and a boss who believes that we can do our jobs from anywhere we could get an Internet connection. There are not many people who  I am very fortunate and it was a good way to start the trip.

Going away gifts
I received a very nice brass compass from a friend with the note that it was to help keep me from getting lost.  I also received a new guardian bell for my bike from a very special friend, to help keep me safe on the road. In addition to the bell, I was given a rain cover for my backpack and a emergency tire plug and inflation kit.  Thank you very much for these gifts. They mean a lot to me.  Also a big thanks to my buddy from work for lending me his Sprint hotspot so that I can get connected to the Internet when there is no wifi available.

Saying goodbye to my son
 
I am currently stopped for the night in Haskell, TX.  It was a hot ride this afternoon with frequent stops to get some cold water and cool off.  As I was sitting here writing this, I heard a motorcycle pull up outside. I went out and met Luke. He is from Las Vegas and on his way to Longview, TX.  His ride is a Triumph.  
 
 
We talked for a while and he gave some tips on places to stay and a great route through NM on my way to Tempe. This is one of the many great things about traveling. You meet all kinds of interesting and nice people. Its been a good first day.  Tomorrows goal is to try and make it to Roswell, NM.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a great trip. Makes me want to get on my bike and go for a trip

    ReplyDelete