Saturday, June 4, 2011

Roswell

Today I was on the road by 7:30 AM.  It was a much nicer ride today mainly because it was a lot cooler.  I arrived in Roswell NM around 1:15 PM. Drove around a bit looking for the cheapest motel and finally found one for $44.00. Its what you would expect of a $44.00 motel room but its clean and that is all that matters.

I have to say, I am a little underwhelmed by Roswell. I guess I am not sure what I was expecting but other than a few UFO related gift shops, a UFO museum ( which wasn't too bad), there isn't much here. I mean, I wandered around downtown Roswell for hours and didn't encounter a single alien or downed alien space ship.

I had a very tasty dinner of fried indian flat bread with beef chili, red sauce, sour cream, and lettuce. I washed it down with an ice cold Fat Tire. I had a nice conversation with Dayton, an old timer having a beer. He is a Navy Vet and has lived in Roswell since he got out of the Navy in 1964. I find the stories the older generation have to tell to be fascinating. From there I went to Farleys and had a margarita and then a Gin and Tonic. The combination of riding since early morning, the meal, and the alcohol made me very tired so now I am in my room and updating the blog.  I don't have anything more to say so I will leave you with a few pictures and a quote that was sent to me by my favorite anonymous observer.

 ~ You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition. What you'll discover will be wonderful; What you'll discover is yourself ~ Alan Alda

Views from Todays  Drive
West Texas

West Texas
UFO Museum and Research Center, Roswell

West Texas Oil Fields
 

1 comment: