Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wine, Redwoods, and the drive to Chico


Leaving the Coast
My original plan was to leave Petaluma in the morning and drive back to the coast and continue on up the PCH but I decided that while the scenery was great and the drive was fun, I was a little weary of the $4.90 to $5.65 per gallon gas, the full campsites, and the overpriced motels.  So I decided to just head straight up the 101 to Ukiah.  Ukiah was a very nice place, surrounded by mountains. I had a fun time Sunday afternoon going to a few wineries and doing some wine tasting, did a short hike and saw some redwood trees, and then Sunday night I went to a music in the park event.  There was a blues band playing and they were pretty good.  Monday I decided to stay an extra day in Ukiah and just chill and relax a little.  I spent some time in Starbucks updating my blog and sorting my photos. Monday evening I had dinner in this little Nepalese restaurant which was actually pretty good.
Wine Country

Wine tasting room

Doing a little wine tasting

Another Wine tasting room

Hiking among the Redwoods





The drive to Chico, CA
I left Ukiah relatively early Tuesday morning and began my drive to Chico, CA.  Now that I am away from the coast, the temps are back up into the 90’s and 100’s.  The drive was only about 4 hours which was nice since it was getting pretty warm out by the time I arrived in Chico.  My brother met me in Chico and I followed him out to his place where I unloaded the bike and hopped into his Toyota 4runner and we went to look at a chicken coop. Don’t ask.

After looking at the chicken coop, we came back to the house and I took a shower, checked email, paid a few bills, and then took a short nap. Exciting stuff.  Unfortunately, I have to return to the world of work for the rest of this week. I will be staying here in Chico until June 27th, when I will then be leaving and start my journey to Bismarck, ND
Sacramento River

Clear Lake

Clear Lake
"A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles" - Tim Cahill, Explorer
 "The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that, knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners." - the stranger in the film, The Big Lebowski
.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome photos and cool little wineries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying my virtual journey - Thanks Rocky! Phoenix is hot, North Dakota is flooding, and there you are - hanging out at that perfect "in between" place.

    ReplyDelete